Saturday mornings are usually pretty quiet in downtown Rothschild, with the exception of Saturday September 22, 2012. That was the day that the second Wausau Area Cash Mob struck an area local business. The focus of this cash mob was two relatively new Rothschild area businesses: Jackie’s Attique and JR’s Discount Grocery.
Both stores, located across the street from each other on Brown Blvd have been open for less than a year, and greatly appreciated the business the mob brought. About 30 people from 11:00am to noon wandered through both stores, chatting with owners and perusing the items for sale.
“Saturdays are pretty quiet, so this event was a real shot in the arm.” commented Andy Loebakka, owner of JR’s Discount Grocery.
Owner Jackie Loos (right) of Jackie’s Attique felt the Saturday event was a success and greatly appreciated the support of the local community that came out to visit the store.
Cash mobs are all about discovering great locally owned businesses, especially those that may be ‘out of the way’ or ‘under the radar’ of shoppers. We are fortunate that our community has such a diverse selection of local businesses and business owners. You never know what you may find in one of these local shops.
RelyLocal Wausau wishes to organize cash mobs about once a month. The only criteria for being a cash mob host is:
- Be a locally owned independent business or independently operated local franchise
- Have products that appeal to wide audience, both men and women
- Cash Mob participants will spend around $20; some more, some less
- The business gives back to the community in some way
- Be easily accessible with parking, pedestrian, and/or public transportation